In 1934 the light-weight steel alloy prototype helmet
was approved for general use by all fire-fighting units.
This helmet is sometimes designated the “M1934” by
modern collectors because of the year of its
introduction. Several different versions of the
M1934 helmet exist with many variations resulting from
subtle differences in the air vents or visors. The
M1934 helmet was painted semi-gloss black inside and out
with two insignia placed one on each side. Fire
Protection Police helmets were manufactured with and
without an aluminum metal comb. In some cases the
metal comb was also painted black. As a result of
a large surplus in helmets, M1934 models without combs
were issued in 1940 for general wear by all
fire-fighting personnel. The helmets used typical
civilian style liner systems and chinstraps. The liners
were made so that they could accommodate a removable
black leather neck shield. Early versions, like
the one shown, were first given insignia that included a
mobile swastika and a tilted tricolored shield.
This combination of insignia was first introduced 26
April 1934, but later upgraded and reversed so that the
swastika appeared on the right side as shown on the
helmet at right. Likewise, this insignia was also
replaced and changed on 28 July 1938 when all fire units
were integrated directly with the German Police.
|Each section of German-Helmets.com
is divided into separate Information Tracks that outline important
details, facts, and historical notes pertaining to steel helmets used by
the German Armed Forces during World War II.
Information Tracks are organized
by subject matter and their content is directly related to the service arm
or organization to which each topic is related. Topic areas that
bridge one subject matter to another are cross linked within each Information Track.
Track provides historical facts pertaining to Fire Protection Helmets
from 1933-1945. Individual
links related to this subject are outlined below.
The Left Side
of the Tilted National Decal.
The Right Side Showing the