German Red Cross (Deutsches Rote Kreuz – DRK) was officially
recognized in Geneva, Switzerland on 27 July 1929.
Like most Red Cross organizations, the DRK was
responsible for providing humanitarian aid and medical
assistance to the German population.
Following the rise of the National Socialist Party, the
DRK became one of the many national organizations incorporated
in the Nazi governmental system.
On 1 January 1938 the DRK established rank, insignia,
and uniform guidelines for the entire organization.
A variety of steel helmets were worn by DRK personnel
who served in hazardous duty positions.
Helmets were usually
worn with insignia, although as World War II progressed many DRK
helmets had no insignia at all. Most helmets consisted of the
standard light and medium duty civic model varieties with and
Each section of German-Helmets.com
is divided into separate Information Tracks that outline important
details, facts, and historical notes pertaining to steel helmets used by
the German Armed Forces during World War II.
Information Tracks are organized
by subject matter and their content is directly related to the service arm
or organization to which each topic is related. Topic areas that
bridge one subject matter to another are cross linked within each Information Track.
This Information Track provides historical
facts pertaining to helmets of the German Red Cross 1938-1945.
Individual links related to this subject are outlined below.